Montagu Date and Brandy Pudding with Walnuts
Chef Mynhardt whipped up this winter masterpiece just for us: the perfect pudding featuring pitted dates, delicious walnuts and a sea of beautiful brandy sauce. Pure heaven.
Serves: 8-10 people
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
Oven temperature: 160 degrees Celsius
Easy to make
- 500g Montagu Sayer pitted dates
- 10ml bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 250g butter, softened
- 400g brown sugar
- 4 extra large eggs
- 480g cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- 5ml salt
- 200g Montagu raw walnuts
- 500g brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 15ml vanilla extract
- 5ml salt
- 1 cup brandy
- Place the dates in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Let cool.
- Whip the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and whip until incorporated.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the bicarb to the dates and mix through.
- Add the date mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and mix through.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a large, prepared oven dish and scatter over the walnuts.
- Bake until well risen out and a skewer comes out clean.
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot sauce over the pudding once it comes out of the oven. Serve hot.