Chef Mynhardt Joubert's Festive Fruitcake
Chef Mynhardt Joubert shared his iconic Festive Fruitcake recipe with us - all for a very special cause.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake: 2 to 3 Hours
- 250 ml water
- 310 ml soft brown sugar
- 1 kg fruit cake mix (dried fruit and nuts)
- 250 g chopped dates
- 250 g chopped golden sultanas
- 250 g roughly chopped cashew and macadamia nuts
- 7 ml Moir’s baking soda
- 250 g Président Butter
- 100 g whole red Moir’s cherries
- 100 g whole red glacé cherries
- 100 g whole green glacé cherries
- 5 eggs beaten
- 20 ml vanilla extract
- 125 ml KWV Brandy
- 625 ml Sasko self-raising flour
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml cinnamon powder
Read more of Chef Mynhard's Christmas Cake story here.
- Preheat the oven to 120 °C and butter the inside of a high, 25cm cake tin.
- Line the tin with three layers of baking paper and butter the inside again.
- Slowly heat the first eight ingredients to boiling point and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool. Add the red and green cherries.
- Combine the eggs, vanilla and brandy together, and add it to the mixture.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and salt, and mix well
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and bake for two hours.
- Let the cake cool in the pan and turn it out. Sprinkle a bit of brandy over the cake and place it in an airtight container.
- Regularly sprinkle over some more brandy to keep the cake moist.