Cheesy Butterfly Muffins
Bring on the flavour with these easy cheesy butterfly muffins. For extra cheesiness sprinkle a little grated cheese over the muffins before baking. Use your child’s favourite spread to finish them off, or try Montagu Spicy Coconut Flavoured Peanuts and Raisins for a different flavour. You can also make a double batch and pop them in the freezer!
- 250g flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 250ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 50g Montagu Bobotie Flavoured Peanuts and Raisins, roughly chopped
- 200ml milk
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 1 large egg
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup hummus or cheese spread
- Montagu Bobotie Flavoured Peanuts and Raisins, to decorate
- 24 pretzels, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Grease a muffin tray well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the thyme, cheese, and peanuts and raisins.
- Whisk the milk, oil, egg and mustard together in a separate jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined (avoid over mixing).
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tray.
- Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- Cut a muffin in half. Spread one side with hummus or cheese spread and arrange the peanuts and raisins and pretzels on top to create the butterfly’s body and wings.
- Repeat with the remaining muffins and serve.
Recipe and image created by: Teresa Ulyate from Cupcakes and Cous Cous